April 2011 Archives
First proper podcast of 2011 and this time something a bit different. Different in that I didn't actually do it. The ever-so-slightly pretentious-but-i'm-sure-its-ironic title of 'Cacophonic Juxtaposition' was fused together by NYC's Teftape vs. Sighhh. Otherwise known as Philip Raffaele and Samantha Grey respectively. Phil's relationship with my adventures in music go back almost 10 years to the day when he became the first contributor to the online magazine Absorb, which I was running at the time.
Time has eroded many things and whilst Absorb is a distant memory, our friendship has continued. He's being coy as to how he did the mix and why he chose the tracks that he did. Needless to say, its fucking ace and shits on all the other lame efforts that I did. So go to the podcast page to get more info or stream it via Soundcloud below. Enjoy!
I think this is the longest gap I've had between posts, not for being busy (though that did have something to do with it). I just decided to ease off the all-too-familiar cycle of listen / think / write. I've weaned myself off my regular trips to Second Layer Records, via a temporary distaste at "difficult" music. Ran back to the cosy confines of Soho dance record stores. Felt disgusted at myself for being suckered into the rash of dance reissues on heavyweight vinyl with lustful packaging (bastards) and generally aligned myself with the dance bores of London.
But Spring is here, I'm ready to clear out the old and bring in the new. The purging of records from my oversized collection has begun in earnest and I'm looking forward to someone coming out with something genuinely new sometime in 2011.
Oh yeah, I also worked on the new Hyperdub site with my good friend Anil, which was launched with digital exclusive of the eagerly awaited new EP from Burial. Please buy it and make them happy. Thanks.
Anyway here are some specific tracks that have kept me occupied since the beginning of the year for some reason or another:
• Sbtrkt: 'Hide of Seek' off Step in Shadows 12" (Young Turks)
• VHS Head: 'Sunset Everett' off Trademark Ribbons of Gold CD (Skam)
• Round Two: 'New Day (Club Vocal Mix) off New Day 12" (Main Street)
• Infinity Window: 'Sheets of Face' off Artificial Midnight LP (Arbor)
• Dave Clarke: 'The Woki' off Archive One LP (Deconstruction)
• Octave One: 'I Believe (Sandwell District Remix)' off Revisited Series 2 (430West)
• Egyptrixx: 'Chrysalis Records' off Bible Eyes LP (Night Slugs)
• Anything from the Sandwell District / Appointment / LiveJam / Relative labels